What is Oculoplastic Surgery?
Dr. Zoumalan is an oculoplastic surgeon and is trained in the management of problems involving the eyelids and the eye socket. Dr. Zoumalan is a board-certified ophthalmologist and a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (ASOPRS). He uses his training in both ophthalmology and plastic and reconstructive surgery to perform specialized procedures around the eyelids and eye socket. Although other types of plastic surgeons also perform eyelid surgery, oculoplastic surgeons, also referred to as ophthalmic plastic surgeons, receive comprehensive training in eyelid surgery. More information about oculoplastic surgery is available at the visionchannel website, wikipedia and at our American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (www.ASOPRS.org) website. Please refer to the Procedures link for more detailed information about the specific procedures Dr. Zoumalan performs.
The list below includes the common procedures Dr. Zoumalan sees in his office for consultation:
- Ptosis (Droopy Eyelids) Surgery
- Evaluation of lower lid dark circles, “baggy eyes” or herniated fat pads
- Brow lifts
- Eyelid Tumor Excision and Eyelid Reconstruction (Benign or skin cancer)
- Revisional Eyelid Surgery (particulary for those that require revisional surgery after having undergone prior eyelid surgery in the past)
- Tear duct surgery (with and without the use of endoscopes)
- Orbital Surgery (removing orbital tumors, orbital decompression, repair of orbital fractures)
- Facial paralysis eyelid reconstruction
- Eyelid malpositions (entropions, ectropions)