Do you experience any of the following?
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, perhaps impairing vision
- Fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
- Drooping lower eyelids that reveal white below the iris
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
If so, you could be a candidate for eyelid surgery in Los Angeles, also known as a blepharoplasty. Eyelid surgery results in a more rested, youthful, and bright-eyed appearance. If you have the surgery to correct vision problems, you will certainly feel a significant improvement in your peripheral vision.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery in Los Angeles
Improvements in Peripheral Vision
When a blepharoplasty is performed for medical reasons it is known as a functional eye lift. Medical conditions that may require eyelid surgery include:
- Ptosis, or impaired vision due to the upper eyelid drooping into the field of vision
- Difficulty wearing contacts or glasses due to baggy lower or upper eyelids
- Irritation from excess folds of eyelid skin rubbing together
- Forehead strain from overusing muscles to lift the eyelid area
Patients who undergo eyelid surgery come out looking more youthful and vibrant. The eyes are one of the first places that show signs of aging and the loose skin that develops on the eyelids can make a person look tired or sad. Blepharoplasty corrects these changes, making patients look more rested and fresh-faced.
Eyelid surgery has advanced so much that it is a practically undetectable procedure. Patients often report that friends, family, and coworkers will comment on their improved appearance without realizing they have undergone any surgery. The incision will be hidden in the creases of the eyelids and it will heal extremely well.
Easier Makeup Application
One of the most common complaints made by patients with excess skin on their eyelids is that eye makeup application can get messy. This is because the redundant skin that has developed around the eyes often causes makeup to smear. Another benefit of eyelid surgery in Los Angeles is that afterwards, makeup application will feel like a cinch!
There are two categories of blepharoplasty—cosmetic and functional. If your surgery is deemed cosmetic (for appearance reasons only), insurance will not pay for it. However, if you are getting surgery for any of the medical reasons mentioned above, your eyelid surgery in Los Angeles may be considered functional and can be covered by insurance.
Risks Associated with Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery has a high satisfaction rate, and low risk of complications, especially when performed by the hands of an expert. According to the Mayo Clinic, Possible risks of eyelid surgery, although rare, include:
- Infection and bleeding
- Dry, irritated eyes
- Difficulty closing your eyes or other eyelid problems
- Noticeable scarring
- Injury to eye muscles
- Skin discoloration
- The need for a follow-up surgery
- Temporarily blurred vision or, rarely, loss of eyesight
- Risks associated with surgery in general, including reaction to anesthesia and blood clots
Make sure to consult with Dr. Zoumalan about the risk/benefit comparison before making your decision.
For some, blepharoplasty results last a lifetime. For others, droopy eyelid skin does eventually recur. Always wear sunglasses when outdoors to protect the skin around your eyes and dab an eye cream on at night (trying not to stretch the skin) to help preserve your skin’s youthful appearance.
Dr. Christopher Zoumalan, MD FACS, is an expert in eyelid surgery in Los Angeles. At his Beverly Hills, CA practice, he and his team regularly perform Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery, Browlift, and Asian Eyelid Surgery, plus more. Contact Dr. Zoumalan to schedule a Skype Consultation or Call 310-278-4000 Today!